At the September 14, 2023, meeting, the Central MN Arts Board (CMAB) awarded $27,993 in Artist Career Development grants.
The CMAB Artist Career Development program provides funding in support of projects, training opportunities, purchases and other activities that assist artists in making the next step in their artistic careers. Funding for this program is provided by the McKnight Foundation.
1. Laura Ruprecht, $4,000, to create an artist documentary to be included with her mosaic work featuring Minnesota’s endangered bird species that will be exhibited the Hallberg Center for the Arts in Wyoming, MN.
2. Timothy Takach, $4,000, for marketing efforts that promote “Unfashioned Creature” composition for live dance through incentives offered to dance companies to attend the premier as well as videography of the premier for future promotion.
3. Kelly Meyer, $4,000 for support in the development of an outdoor fabric dye lab space to expand work in natural dyeing and eco-printing.
4. Susan Davies, $4,000 for support to elevate professional portfolio and broaden audience base in the production of new work, a mentorship with painter Bonnie Cutts, and activities that promote the new work and exhibition at Wright County Historical Society.
5. Scott Miller, $4,000, to support an investment in a more complete sample library and renewed subscriptions to notation and digital audio workstation software essential to the production of film/TV-ready demos, and notation of scores and parts.
6. Emily Holt, $3,993, to support updating current computer and printing equipment, website and marketing outreach.
7. Desi Murphy, $4,000 to further explore the minimalism concept through ceramic fine art forms and to update booth equipment used for displaying art festivals.
Three criteria are used to evaluate applications: Artistic quality and merit, professional need and ability to complete the proposal. An applicant must receive an average score of 15 points (50%) or higher to be considered for funding.
The Central Minnesota Arts Board supports collaborative and innovative arts opportunities through partnerships and financial investments in Benton, Sherburne, Stearns, and Wright counties. The CMAB is one of eleven Regional Arts Councils designated by the Minnesota State Arts Board working with community partners to increase access to the unique cultural assets of Minnesota.