At the May 12, 2022, meeting, the Central MN Arts Board (CMAB) awarded $236,243 in support of thirty-one regional arts projects. Applications are scored by a panel of artists, nonprofit administrators, and members of other community groups. Panel scores are provided to the Board of Directors and used to inform funding decisions. Criteria used in evaluating applications include pandemic sustainability & diversity, equity & inclusion, artistic quality & merit, demonstrated need, outcomes & evaluation, and ability to complete the proposal.
Applicants may request up to $8,000 for any one project or combined projects in a grant round. Funding for these CMAB Grants is provided through an appropriation from the Minnesota State Legislature with money from the state’s general fund, and its Arts & Cultural Heritage Fund created by the Voters of Minnesota
The following organizations were awarded:
1. Avon Hills Folk School, $6,743, to provide learning and experience in traditional or folk arts during adult Hand Camp in fall 2022 at Avon Hills Folk School in Avon, MN.
2. Boys & Girls Clubs of Central MN, $8,000, to showcase student work in visual arts, digital arts, fashion, spoken word and dance during Whatever it Takes youth initiative Winter 2022, reception and exhibit at the Eastside Club in December 2022 with viewing options for those who cannot attend.
3. Buffalo Community Orchestra, $7,465, for the concert performance of “Let’s Dance!” that will include a wide variety of orchestral dance music in March 2023 in Buffalo, MN.
4. Buffalo Community Theater, $8,000, to produce the Ken Ludwig comedy, “Leading Ladies” in October 2022 that will include an apprentice program for technical positions.
5. Central Minnesota Youth Orchestra, $8,000, to perform “Afflictions of Humanity: LOVE AND WAR” musical works focused on some of humanities complicated challenges concert in November 2022 including an online performance.
6. Chamber Music Society of St. Cloud, $8,000, 2022-23 concert season featuring guest artist, the Harlem Quartet performance and community outreach activities at area schools, the St. Cloud library, and the Whitney Senior Center. The concert will be recorded and made available online in November 2022.
7. College of Saint Benedict, $8,000, to present Red Sky Performance featuring “Trace”, a highly kinetic dance work inspired by Anishinaabe sky and star stories that will include outreach activities on October 28, 2022 in St. Joseph, MN.
8. Community Legacy Foundation, $8,000, for Shawn McCann, professional chalk, and mural artist, and ten professional chalk artists to create an interactive display of chalk art in June 2022 on the street of Sinclair Lewis Avenue in Sauk Centre, MN.
9. Fred Yiran Legacy Project, $8,000, to provide opportunities for African artistic display of dance, African art, drumming, storytelling, bead making, professional teacher workshops during Fred Yiran African Arts Day in June 2023 in St. Cloud, MN.
10. Great River Educational Arts Theatre, $8,000, to perform Langston Hughes’s “Black Nativity” in collaboration with Higher Works Collaborative in December 2022 in Waite Park, MN.
11. Hanover Elementary School, $2,200, for artist Mary Ellen Gutknecht design a stained-glass panel with student input to be installed above the doorway leading to the playground and the school forest in Hanover, MN.
12. Independent Music Collaboration of Central MN, $8,000, for Common Roots Fest 2022, a four-day, multi-venue music event held August 17-20, 2022, in downtown St. Cloud.
13. Jeub, Heidi, $8,000, for Whitty Artist Camp at The Whit Gallery in St. Cloud and Tiny School of Art & Design in Avon, Holdingford and St. Cloud communities held June – September 2022.
14. Lyricality, $8,000, for eight diverse writers to facilitate “Celebrating LyricaliTea Circles” events that will feature poetry and spoken word that demonstrates the creativity and distinct artistic voices of circle participants by regionally and nationally recognized poets and writers August – November 2022 in
Cloud and Holdingford, MN.
15. Melrose Area Art Council, $7,000, to fund the research, development, and community feedback for the proposal of a monument style welcoming sign for the City of Melrose, MN.
16. Millstream Arts Festival, $8,000, Millstream Arts Festival 2022 outdoor juried art festival featuring local and regional artists’ work, live music, street performances, children’s art, exhibits, demos and enticing foods held August 2022 in St. Joseph, MN.
17. Minnesota Dance Ensemble, $6,990, to produce “Love from Beyond the Grave” Halloween themed dances, music and costumes in October 2022 at the Paramount Theatre in St. Cloud, MN.
18. Munsinger Clemens Botanical Society, $8,000, for “Art Fair in the Gardens” that features art, theatre performers and artists in a variety of genres including Central Minnesota Theatre performing Shakespeare’s Abridged Stories all day at various locations throughout the gardens in July 2022 in St. Cloud, MN.
19. Paramount Center For the Arts, $8,000, for The Blind Boys of Alabama performance concert February 24, 2023 at the Paramount Theater in St. Cloud, MN.
20. Paynesville Area Community Theater, $6,500, to produce and perform “Little House on the Prairie, The Musical” in July 21-24 at the Paynesville Area High School Auditorium in Paynesville, MN.
21. Rum River Art Center, $8,000, to provide a series of single outreach classes/workshops to older adults ages 55+ through the Senior-Art Reach Programming at Elk River Senior Center and St. Michael Library.
22. Sinclair Lewis Foundation, $7,545, Sinclair Lewis 2022 Writers Conference that will focus on the writing process from the perspectives of various professional writers by providing four sessions that include a panel discussion and small group presentations in October 2022 at the Sauk Centre High School Auditorium.
23. Cloud State University, $8,000, Lemonade Concert and Art Fair to bring performance and visual art experiences to the SCSU campus that engage the community in the support of the arts and provide local artists with an opportunity to showcase their art June 2022 in St. Cloud, MN.
24. St. Cloud Symphony Orchestra, $8,000, Finding Home at the Movies concert performance that will include beloved and award-winning movies and music on September 24, 2022, at Ritsche Auditorium, St. Cloud State University.
25. John’s University – Fine Arts, $8,000, SJU Native Group Exhibition guest curated by Travis Zimmerman, manager of the Mille Lacs Indian Museum, former Indian Affairs Liaison and SJU alum from August 28 – October 28, 2022 at the Alice R. Rogers and Target Galleries on the campus Saint John’s University.
26. TEDxStCloud, $8,000, for TEDxStCloud 2022: Rattle event with live speakers and arts performances combine to spark deep discussion and connection among attendees in the Fall of 2022 at the Paramount Theater including livestream.
27. The St. John’s Boys’ Choir, $8,000, Boys BACK on Broadway 2022 production to mark the return to the stage for three for school audiences and two public productions in October 2022.
28. The Yes Network, $8,000, to provide Thinking Skills That I Learned Through Art experiences for three days a week for children ages of five to fifteen within St. Cloud, MN in Summer 2022.
29. Unite Cloud, $7,800, to host photographer, KOBI (aka Henry Bannerman) for an exhibition called “BlackMan…BlackMan…” in July 2022 at The Whit Gallery in St. Cloud, MN.
30. VanderEyk, Deb, $8,000, for “Trail Mix Art Show” juried exhibit focused on beauty of nature and the importance of protecting natural habitats throughout the world in partnership with the College of St. Benedicts and St. John’s University that include a guest speaker and artist reception. The Exhibit will be viewable November – December 2022 at The Whit Gallery in St. Cloud, MN and the Good Earth Coop in St. Joseph, MN.
31. Wirth Center for the Performing Arts, $8,000, for “Young Artist Piano Camp”, a piano education, peer mentorship, and performance opportunities for young artist held in Summer 2022 at St. Cloud State University, St. Cloud, MN.
The Central Minnesota Arts Board supports collaborative and innovative arts opportunities through partnerships and financial investments in Benton, Sherburne, Stearns, and Wright counties as one of eleven Regional Arts Councils designated by the Minnesota State Arts Board working with community partners to increase access to the unique cultural assets of Minnesota.
**Event dates may change due to the current environment, visit aroundthecloud.org and organization websites for recent updates.
Visit the website for more information www.centralmnartsboard.org or call the office at 320-968-4290 or toll free at 1-866-825-1471.