At the October 13, 2022, meeting, the Central MN Arts Board (CMAB) awarded a total of $208,478 in support of twenty-nine regional arts projects. Applications are scored by a panel of artists, nonprofit administrators, and members of other community groups. Panel scores are provided to the Board of Directors and used in determining how to allocate funds. Criteria used in evaluating applications include equity & sustainability, artistic merit & quality, demonstrated need, outcomes & evaluation, and ability to complete the proposal.
Organizations, schools, local government, community groups, and individuals may apply for up to $8,000 in support of arts-focused events. Funding for these CMAB Grants is provided through an appropriation from the Minnesota State Legislature with money from the state’s general fund, and its Arts & Cultural Heritage Fund created by the Voters of Minnesota
The following were awarded:
1. Art Experiment 56340, $5,450, for “Art on the Roll” 2023 workshops where artists provide place-based accessible art activities to all ages, skill sets, and artistic abilities beginning Memorial Day weekend through October 2023 at Art in Motion on the Lake Wobegon Trail in Holdingford, MN.
2. Big Lake Schools Community Education, $7,664.00, for a choreographer, assistant lighting director, lighting, wireless headsets, and organizational storage equipment to improve the production of 2023 Big Lake High School Musical in Big Lake, MN.
3. Boys & Girls Clubs of Central MN, $8,000, in support of Youth Arts Initiative 2023 that includes visual and digital arts, dance, fashion and sewing concluding with an exhibit reception and a showcase on stage at the Paramount Center for the Arts on May 10, 2023.
4. Buffalo Community Orchestra, $5,938, to present “Love, BCO” concert at Buffalo High School Performing Arts Center on April 30, 2023.
5. Buffalo Community Theater, $8,000.00, to continue the technical apprentice program during the rehearsal and presentation of “Shrek the Musical” at the Buffalo High School Performing Arts Center in July 2023.
6. Chamber Music Society of St. Cloud, $8,000, for performances by Balge-Park-Ross in November 2022 and & Ann DuHamel in January 2023 that include community outreach and school program activities in St. Cloud, MN.
7. City of Holdingford, $1,872, Music of our Heartland performance series that includes personal story sharing by residents, open stage folk music performances, folk dancing and a concert featuring Polish, German and Czech folk music by LaVerne and the Skylites in Holdingford, MN.
8. Delano Area Council for Arts and Culture, $8,000, in support 2023 Sculpture Fest and Walk held at the Delano Sculpture Park along the Crow River and through historic downtown Delano, MN.
9. Delano Dramatic Company, $8,000, for “Christmas with a Twist” 10-minute plays during Old-Fashioned Christmas in Delano, MN, December 2022 and “School of Rock, the Musical” performance at the Delano High School Performing Arts Center in July 2023.
10. Elk River High School, $4,885, in support of “Evening of the Arts” community celebration to showcase teen artists, musicians, dancers, poets, writers, actors and photographers in April 2023 in Elk River, MN.
11. Great River Children’s Museum, $8,000, to support the GRCM Art and Community Project artists’ proposals and the design process for a dining wall mural, an outdoor play sculpture and art fence that would surround the Outdoor Adventures exhibit area.
12. Great River Educational Arts Theatre, $8,000, for the 2022-23 Youth Artist Project theatre performance of Mo Willems’s “Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed: The Rock Experience” produced by high school theatre artists for young audiences that includes digital access for schools and homes in March 2023.
13. HLWW Theatre Arts Boosters, $8,000, for the presentation of “Bye Bye Birdy” musical at Howard Lake Wavery Winsted High School Laker Theatre in July 2023.
14. Lyricality, $8,000, in support of “The Art of Transformation” performance by a collective of poets, writers, and artists during Poetry Month, April 2023 in greater St. Cloud, MN.
15. McKinley ALC High School, $8,000, to provide students an opportunity to learn about careers in arts, work with clay, and have an art show that highlights student work in partnership with Paramount Center for the Arts during the 2022-23 school year.
16. Mid Minnesota Association of Wood Turners, $4,999, for the purchase of technical equipment to enhance meetings, demonstrations and education courses at the Tech Center in Waite Park, MN.
17. Minnesota Dance Ensemble, $7,990, to present “Dancer’s Dances” choreographed by dancers in collaboration with local guest dancers at the Paramount Theater in April 2023.
18. MontiArts, $8,000, to support MontiArts Glow Fest ’23 that includes free workshops that guide participants in making glow art to be carried or worn in the parade ending with a bonfire at Riverfront Park in downtown Monticello, MN during winter 2023.
19. Monticello Community Strings, $4,600, to support music mentors and performers in presenting a free community strings concert at the Monticello High School Performing Arts Center in July 2023.
20. Paramount Center For the Arts, $8,000, in support of the 2023 High School Art Exhibition and Competition for High School Students from 17 different high schools in Central Minnesota concluding in a reception and presentation of wards April 28, 2023, at the Paramount Theater in St. Cloud, MN.
21. Whitney Writers and Poets, $5,910.00, to support publishing a memoir anthology book of compiled creative stories from Guided Autobiography Writing class participants offered by the Whitney Senior Center in St. Cloud, MN. Authors will read their own excerpts or other original works during a free community event.
22. Project 37 – Independent Music Collaboration of Central MN, $7,170.00 to support Project 37 Showcase Series of six performances that provide a place for all ages to enjoy a sober and safe venue for music.
23. Rittmueller, $8,000, to support artist Tracy Rittmueller in leading a collaboration between poets, musicians, cultural consultants, and community organization to produce “Party with Paints and Poems” 2023 Winter Solstice event held at Great River Regional Library.
24. SOAR Regional Arts, $8,000, to support the production and performance of “Clue” in May 2023 that includes the opportunity for the Teen Advisory Group to shadow the different aspects of production at St. Michael-Albertville Middle School West in St. Michael, MN.
25. St. Cloud Symphony Orchestra, $8,000, for “A Joyful Noise” concert at St. Cloud State University Ritsche Auditorium February 25, 2023, in St. Cloud, MN.
26. St. John’s University – Fine Arts, $8,000, to present Tiempo Libre workshops and performance in November 2022.
27. STMA Music Boosters, $8,000, to host Jason Max Ferdinand Singers in a series of choral master classes culminating in a performance that will include six vocal ensembles, members of the Ogni Voce choir comprised of special education students ages 12 – 50 in February 2023 at the St. Michael – Albertville High School Performing Arts Center.
28. WACOSA, $8,000, for “Bringing ART to the South” painting sessions January – May 2023 taught by artist Dan Mondloch where participant’s work will be used to develop two wall murals as permanent fixtures at the WACOSA South in Waite Park, MN.
29. Youth Chorale of Central MN, $8,000, to support a collaboration with Nation, a composer duo from Big Lake, MN, in rehearsal and a performance on April 23, 2023, at Bethlehem Lutheran Church in St. Cloud, MN.
The Central Minnesota Arts Board supports collaborative and innovative arts opportunities through partnerships and financial investments in Benton, Sherburne, Stearns, and Wright counties. The CMAB is one of eleven Regional Arts Councils designated by the Minnesota State Arts Board working with community partners to increase access to the unique cultural assets of Minnesota.
**Event dates may change due to the current environment, visit aroundthecloud.org and organization websites for recent updates.