At the May 11, 2023, meeting, the Central MN Arts Board (CMAB) awarded a total of $214,772 in support of thirty regional arts projects. Applications are scored by a panel of artists, nonprofit administrators, and members of other community groups. Panel scores are provided to the Board of Directors and used in determining how to allocate funds. Criteria used in evaluating applications include equity & sustainability, artistic merit & quality, demonstrated need, outcomes & evaluation, and ability to complete the proposal.
Organizations, schools, local government, community groups, and individuals may apply for up to $8,000 in support of arts-focused events. Funding for these CMAB Grants is provided through an appropriation from the Minnesota State Legislature with money from the state’s general fund, and its Arts & Cultural Heritage Fund created by the Voters of Minnesota
The following were awarded:
1. 510 Art Lab, $5,400, to support the addition of Fabric Art programming to offer classes and demonstrations for the community in the Fall of 2023.
2. Anna Marie’s Alliance, $7,750, Hope for Survivors project lead by artist Laura Ruprecht where participants create individual mandalas which will be incorporated and installed into a finished mural to create a warm and welcoming transition from the entry to inside the shelter.
3. Avon Hills Folk School, $6,389, to provide a multi-day opportunity Adult Artist and Maker Camp for local and regional artists and makers in September 2023 in Avon, MN.
4. Boys & Girls Clubs of Central MN, $8,000, to support the Youth Arts Initiative arts programming that empowers youth through intentional projects on diversity, equity and inclusion with a showcase and exhibit in Winter 2023 in St. Cloud, MN.
5. Buffalo Community Orchestra, $8,000, for “Overture” concert and performance in Fall 2023 where selected pieces offer a wide array of musical styles and varying instrumentations in Buffalo, MN.
6. Buffalo Community Theater, $8,000, to support “Grumpy Old Men the Musical” the rehearsal and performance in Fall 2023 in Buffalo, MN.
7. Central Minnesota Youth Orchestra, $8,000, for students to perform musical works that have inspired many composers, authors, and screen writers themed “Tales of Time: Myths & Legends” in Fall 2023.
8. Chamber Music Society of St. Cloud, $8,000, for BPR Trio & Sybarite5 concerts and related community outreach activities in Fall of 2023 in St. Cloud, MN.
9. Community Legacy Foundation, $4,100, for the Laurie Morvan Band Concert during Art on the Avenue on Saturday, June 24, 2023, in Sauk Centre, MN.
10. Delano Community Band, $5,532, to support the community band 2023 concerts and performances.
11. Foley Economic Development Committee, $3,400, to support a public art expansion by paying selected artists to produce renderings of the proposed public art for public voting events and judging panel.
12. Great River Educational Arts Theatre, $8,000, to support a youth-lead theatre production and performance of “A Year with Frog and Toad” in October 2023 in Waite Park, MN.
13. Higher Works Collaborative, $6,000, to support a 10-event Spoken Word series “Auditory Perception of Human Emotions” in different locations throughout St. Cloud, MN.
14. Independent Music Collaboration of Central MN, $8,000, to support Project 37 that provides the tools and sober-friendly space necessary for musicians of all ages to perform in a Showcase Series during 2023 in St. Cloud and surrounding communities.
15. Lyricality, $8,000, to host Poetry Day 2023 on August 5, 2023, at Art in Motion on the Lake Wobegon Trail in Holdingford, MN.
16. Millstream Arts Festival, $7,000, to support the outdoor juried Millstream Arts Festival featuring work by local and regional artists and musicians August 27, 2023, in St. Joseph, MN
17. Minnesota Center Chorale, $6,200, for a choral concert entitled “Minnesota Made: Celebrating 50 Years” on May 21, 2023, at the Paramount Theater in downtown St. Cloud, MN.
18. Munsinger Clemens Botanical Society, $8,000, to support Art Fair in the Gardens that features art, artists, and musicians July 20, 2023, at Munsinger Clemens Gardens in St. Cloud, MN.
19. Options Inc., $7,500, to support artist Mandi Sabourin in providing on-site instruction bi-weekly painting tutorials for adults with cognitive and intellectual disabilities in Big Lake, MN.
20. Paramount Center for The Arts, $8,000, for Water Street Dance Milwaukee to lead a masterclass with Ms. Melinda’s Dance Studio and present a public performance in January 2024 at the Paramount Theatre in St. Cloud, MN.
21. Quiet Oaks Hospice House, $7,825, to support the Heart Held Hands program where photographer Judy Goering captures moments of holding hands to provide framed photos for each family at no cost.
22. Rum River Art Center, $8,000, for the Senior-Art Reach Programming series of single outreach classes and workshops to older adults ages 55+ at Elk River Senior Center and St. Michael Library.
23. Sinclair Lewis Foundation, $7,760, for the 2023 Writers Conference that includes a panel discussion, keynote talk and small group presentations in person and virtually October 2023 in Sauk Centre, MN.
24. SOAR Regional Arts, $8,000, for the Fall 2023 production and performance of “Mamma Mia” at the St. Michael Town Center outdoor park in St. Michael, MN.
25. St. Cloud State University, $8,000, to support the Lemonade Concert & Art Fair that showcases local artists and performances June 22, 2023, on the SCSU campus in St. Cloud, MN.
26. St. Cloud Symphony Orchestra, $8,000, for “Life Cycles” concert that consists of music connected to different views on the cycle of life and death held October 28, 2023, at Ritsche Auditorium in St. Cloud, MN.
27. St. Michael-Albertville High School, $8,000, to support a theatre retreat in August 2023 for high school theatre students with Blackout Improv that includes professional theater training and show preview a show in St. Michael, MN.
28. Stearns History Museum, $8,000, for an Art Collection Collaboration organizational framework that involves gathering and archiving of artists’ work that have a connection to Stearns County.
29. Wirth Center for the Performing Arts, $4,675, to support “School of Rock” for students in grades 6-12 focused on all aspects of being a musician that includes a performance in August 2023 at the Paramount Theater in Saint Cloud, MN.
30. Youth Chorale of Central MN, $7,250, for a “A Choral Community” that gathers local vocal ensembles to the same stage in a single performance in Fall 2023 at Blattner Energy Arts Theatre in Albany, MN.
The Central Minnesota Arts Board supports collaborative and innovative arts opportunities through partnerships and financial investments in Benton, Sherburne, Stearns, and Wright counties. The CMAB is one of eleven Regional Arts Councils designated by the Minnesota State Arts Board working with community partners to increase access to the unique cultural assets of Minnesota.
**Event dates may change due to the current environment, visit aroundthecloud.org and organization websites for recent updates.