At the May 13, 2021, meeting, the Central MN Arts Board (CMAB) awarded $98,652 in support of twenty regional arts projects. Applications are scored by a panel of artists, nonprofit administrators and members of other community groups. Panel scores are provided to the Board of Directors and used in determining how to allocate funds. Criteria used in evaluating applications include: pandemic sustainability & diversity, equity & inclusion, artistic quality & merit, demonstrated need, outcomes & evaluation and ability to complete the proposal.
Organizations may apply for up to $5,000 for any one project or combined projects in a grant round. Funding for these CMAB Grants is provided through an appropriation from the Minnesota State Legislature with money from the state’s general fund, and its Arts & Cultural Heritage Fund created by the Voters of Minnesota
The following organizations were awarded:
1. 4 Community Theatre, $5,000, for a 10-Minute One Act Play Festival performance comprised of 5 plays that will be performed outdoors at Wright County parks in Rockford and Delano, MN from May to October 2021.
2. Avon Hills Folk School, $5,000, Adult Hand Camp where exemplary artists, crafts persons and artisans will share and teach their art form to participants providing experience and skills in traditional and other folk art in the Fall of 2021 in Avon, MN.
3. Buffalo Community Orchestra, $3,652, for Holiday for Orchestra with Ringers and Singers annual festive collaboration between the Buffalo Community Orchestra, the wRight Ringers Community Handbell Ensemble, the Wright County Chamber Chorus and members of the Buffalo High School Concert Choir in December 2021 at the Buffalo High School Performing Arts Center in Buffalo, MN.
4. Buffalo Community Theater, $5,000, for the production and six performances of “Junie B. Jones, Jr. the Musical” that will involve youth performers, artists, technicians and volunteers in February 2022 at Discovery Auditorium in Buffalo, MN.
5. Central Minnesota Youth Orchestra, $5,000, for “CREATION: Sounds of Nature” video or online performance in November 2021 that will include a collaboration with Schmitt Music to bring in the Lux Quartet who will perform a few pieces, offer sectional work, and a Q/A session for students.
6. Chamber Music Society, $5,000, for Dali String Quartet performance and three-day residency during the 2021-2022 concert season in the St. Cloud, MN area.
7. Delano Area Council for Arts and Culture, $5,000, for the Inaugural Sculpture Walk unveiled in June 2021. Sculptures will be on display through May 2022 at the Delano Sculpture Park, Delano Spirit of Community Trail and historic downtown Delano, MN.
8. Great River Educational Arts Theatre, $5,000, to provide livestream access to performances for Summer 2021 Theatre Camps and two Broadway musicals July and September 2021 at The Ledge Amphitheatre in Waite Park and the Paramount Center for the Arts in St. Cloud, MN.
9. Millstream Arts Festival, $5,000, for Millstream Night Market featuring artists in all areas held outdoors weekly throughout summer and into fall of 2021 in downtown St. Joseph, MN.
10. MontiArts, $5,000, where local artist Ali Yager will work with community participants to help build an installation using discarded and reclaimed materials that will be displayed in panels in unused green space in the pedestrian corridor in Monticello, MN.
11. Paramount Center For The Arts, $5,000, to support a 100th Anniversary Public Art installation on St. Germain Street in St. Cloud, MN created by local artists and the community with a planned unveiling in July 2021.
12. Quiet Oaks Hospice House, $5,000, for photographer Judy Garing to work with residents and their families for Heart Held Hands 2021.The project’s purpose is to bring about healing for those impacted by death and serve to educate the community.
13. SOAR Regional Arts, $5,000, for SOAR Teen Intensive “Into the Woods Jr” production and free outdoor performance in Summer 2021 at Otsego Prairie Park in Otsego, MN.
14. St. Cloud Symphony Orchestra, $5,000, “A Century Apart” concert November 6, 2021, at St. Cloud State University Ritsche Auditorium in St. Cloud, MN.
15. Swan City Heritage Foundation, $5,000, for a project that will link five local artists with five local businesses to create art installations during Summer 2021 in Monticello, MN
16. Talahi Community School, $5,000, for artist Jill Dubbeldee Kuhn to work with students on an outdoor nature themed mural on the north atrium entrance during Summer 2021 at Talahi Community School in St. Cloud, MN.
17. The Yes Network, $5,000, Intercultural Harmony Through the Arts where teaching artists provide high-quality art experiences to children in St. Cloud, MN neighborhoods during Summer 2021.
18. Too Much Talent, $5,000, to host a Juneteenth Parade to pay tribute to the Black community of St. Cloud, MN during Granite City Day on June 24, 2021.
19. Unite Cloud, $5,000, for “Rise Up to Equity” project that consists of three community Artists who will create and facilitate an interactive portable public art installation to engage public in the conversations around Equality and Equity.
20. Youth Chorale of Central MN, $5,000 for “A Choral Community” concert that will include the Youth Choral ensemble, Sauk Rapids-Rice High School Concert Choir, area churches and community choirs October 2021 at the Performing Arts Center in Sauk Rapids-Rice High School, Sauk Rapids, MN.
The Central Minnesota Arts Board supports collaborative and innovative arts opportunities through partnerships and financial investments in Benton, Sherburne, Stearns, and Wright counties as one of eleven Regional Arts Councils designated by the Minnesota State Arts Board working with community partners to increase access to the unique cultural assets of Minnesota.
**Event dates may change due to the current environment, visit aroundthecloud.org and organization websites for recent updates.