At the October 12, 2023, meeting, the Central MN Arts Board (CMAB) awarded a total of $224,881 in support of thirty-two regional arts projects. Applications are scored by a panel of artists, nonprofit administrators, and members of other community groups. Panel scores are provided to the Board of Directors and used in determining how to allocate funds. Criteria used in evaluating applications include artistic merit & quality, equity & sustainability, demonstrated need, and ability to complete the proposal.
Organizations, schools, local government, community groups, and individuals may apply for up to $8,000 in support of arts-focused events. Funding for these CMAB Grants is provided through an appropriation from the Minnesota State Legislature with money from the state’s general fund, and its Arts & Cultural Heritage Fund created by the Voters of Minnesota
The following were awarded:
1. Avon Hills Folk School, $8,000, to support a two-day Youth Artists and Makers Camp lead by COMPAS artists in July 2024 at Avon Hills Folk School in Avon, MN.
2. Big Lake Schools Community Education, $8,000, for sound computer and lighting updates to support performance of “Matilda the Musical” in Spring 2024 at Big Lake High School Theatre in Big Lake, MN.
3. Boys & Girls Clubs of Central MN, $8,000, for Youth Arts Initiative programming that will culminate in a 2024 Spring Showcase and reception May 15, 2024, and an exhibit throughout the month in the lobby and studio C at the Paramount Center for the Arts in Saint Cloud, MN.
4. Buffalo Community Orchestra, $8,000 for the rehearsal and performance of “The American Spirit” featuring two major orchestral works with narrator April 28, 2024, at the Buffalo High School Performing Arts Center in Buffalo, MN.
5. Central Minnesota Youth Orchestra, $8,000, for the rehearsal and performance of works that create stories from centuries past “Tales of Time: Mystical Adventures”, in-person/live stream concert in April 2024 at the First United Methodist Church in Sartell, MN.
6. Central MN Theatre LLC,$8,000, to perform “Ebenezer’s Dry Goods & Pharmaceuticals” an original play written by local playwright Anthony Schrock that brings awareness to the struggle of addiction and its impact in November 2023 at Cathedral High School Auditorium in Saint Cloud, MN.
7. Chamber Music Society of St. Cloud, $8,000, in support of the Heath Quartet concert and community outreach activities which includes a free family concert in April 2024 in greater Saint Cloud, MN.
8. College of Saint Benedict, $7,920, in support of performing artists Luverne Seifert and Cade Holmseth to conduct a guest artist residency with student dancers and actors to develop a circus-themed production in May 2024 at the College of St Benedict/St John’s University in St Joseph MN
9. Delano Area Council for Arts and Culture, $8,000, to support the 2024 Sculpture Fest / Walk community arts celebration that includes live music, art market, and guided tours of the sculpture walk that will display 12 new works by MN artists for one year in Delano, MN.
10. Delano Dramatic Company, $8,000, for the performances “Jacob Marley’s Christmas Carol (Mula)” at two local churches and Delano Senior Center December 2023, and “The Sound of Music” in July 2024 Delano Performing Arts Center in Delano, MN.
11. Elk River High School, $4,490, for “Evening of the Arts” all-encompassing showcase of student talent and artwork including demonstrations, dance, poetry, music, media arts, cultural displays and theater performances April 25, 2024, at Elk River High School in Elk River, MN.
12. Greater Minnesota Family Services, $8,000, to support Mindful Expressions Art Studio in expanding capabilities for providing quality art therapy through the purchase of art supplies, networking events and education packets that includes variety of art mediums taught by an art therapist on staff.
13. Great River Chorale, $8,000, for “Wintertide,” concerts of choral music and spoken word celebrating winter, in collaboration with the Saint Cloud String Quartet and other guest artists December 1, 2023, at Saint Mary’s Cathedral and December 3, 2023, at Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Saint Cloud, MN.
14. Great River Educational Arts Theatre, $8,000, to produce “Native Gardens” directed by Lorenzo Sandoval that will address complex social issues including racial equity and promote building trust and connectedness in our community in May 2024 at Helgeson Learning Lab Theatre in Waite Park, MN.
15. HLWW Theatre Arts Boosters, $8,000, to perform “Leap of Faith” a story of a faith-healing revival group performed outdoors under a big tent in July 2024 at St John’s Lutheran Church in Howard Lake, MN and St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Wavery, MN
16. Holdingford American Legion, $4,724, in support of Olde Tyme Music Legacy Program: A monthly program featuring Olde Tyme Music performances, dancing, and history beginning May 2024 through December 2024 at the Holdingford American Legion in Holdingford, MN.
17. Lyricality, $8,000, to support THE ARTFUL PAUSE: Co-Creating Place Equity with greater St. Cloud Leaders in April 2024 presented by Central Minnesota and Metro-based lyrical writers and percussionists that will explore practices and processes artists use in creating as a form of arts engagement with community conversation.
18. Melrose Area Arts Council, $3,906, to support 12 unique art camps for children during the Melrose Farmer’s Market held from June – September 2024 at the Wobegon Trail in Melrose, MN.
19. Minnesota Center Chorale, $4,190, for a concert featuring Vivaldi’s Gloria focused on World Relief that highlights the human cost of war, poverty, famine, genocide, and other tragedies that lead to hunger March 10, 2024, during FoodShare month at First United Methodist Church in Sartell, MN.
20. MontiArts, $8,000, for mosaic artist Laura Ruprecht to work with staff and area residents in learning to create mosaic in preparation for community-built public art in Spring 2024 downtown Monticello, MN.
21. Monticello Community Strings, $3,611, to continued string education and string ensemble playing inspired by mentors during summer of 2024 culminating in an end-of-summer concert at the Monticello High School Performing Arts Center in Monticello, MN.
22. Paramount Center For The Arts, $8,000, to support the 2024 High School Arts Exhibition where Central MN students in grades 9-12 participate in a juried art competition, reception and exhibit held in May 2024 at the Paramount Visual Arts Center in Saint Cloud, MN.
23. St. Cloud Arts Commission, $8,000, to support the collaboration with Sod House Theater to produce an immersive, site-specific musical adaptation of Ibsen’s Enemy of the People with local actors and musicians in May 2024 at Riverside Park with the Mississippi as a backdrop in Saint Cloud, MN.
24. St. Michael Historical Society, $7,200, to support a call for preliminary proposals from artists for a permanent sculpture that represents the city and diverse culture. Five artists would be selected to further define their design to be presented to a jury to select a finalist by August 2024.
25. St. Cloud Symphony Orchestra, $8,000, for the performance of “Requiem and the Perennial Question” and pre-concert discussion February 25, 2024, at Saint John’s Abbey and University Church in Collegeville, MN.
26. STMA Music Boosters, $8,000, to support a masterclass with British professional vocal ensemble Voces8 that will provide the opportunity for regional choristers to present a collaborative performance in October 2023 at St. Michael Catholic Church in St. Michael, MN.
27. The St. John’s Boys’ Choir, $8,000, for “A Ceremony of Carols” concert featuring +60 SJBC choristers, an Alumni Choir, 25-piece orchestra December 16, 2023, at Saint Mary’s Cathedral in St. Cloud, MN
28. SOAR Regional Arts, $8,000, for the performance of “Anne of Green Gables” May 2024 at St. Michael-Albertville Middle School in Albertville, MN. A collaboration with St. Michael-Albertville Middle School West and the St. Michael branch of the Great River Regional Library will highlight the novel and history to coincide with middle school curriculum and a daytime school performance.
29. Talahi Community School, $2,505, for COMPAS artists Anita Ruth and T Mychel Rambo to present African American poetry and music to second grade students December 2023 at Talahi Community School in St. Cloud, MN.
30. WACOSA, $6,466, for teaching artist Dan Mondloch to work with WACOSA clients in a variety of art painting methods customized for each client. Paintings chosen by participants will be used to develop two wall murals to be displayed at WACOSA in Sauk Centre, MN
31. Wirth Center for the Performing Arts, $8,000, for a recital featuring 200+ performers in music and dance in May 2024 at Sauk Rapids-Rice High School in Sauk Rapids, MN.
32. wRight Ringers Handbell Ensemble, $3,869, for “It’s a New World” concert of vocal and handbell music featuring new sounds, new compositions, and pieces that open the musical world with additional guest artists in Spring 2024 at Zion Lutheran Church in Buffalo, MN.
The Central Minnesota Arts Board supports collaborative and innovative arts opportunities through partnerships and financial investments in Benton, Sherburne, Stearns, and Wright counties. The CMAB is one of eleven Regional Arts Councils designated by the Minnesota State Arts Board working with community partners to increase access to the unique cultural assets of Minnesota.
**Event dates may change, visit aroundthecloud.org and organization websites for recent updates.
Visit the website for more information www.centralmnartsboard.org or call the office at 320-968-4290 or toll free at 1-866-825-1471.